Thursday 7th January 2016


WIGAN’S first home game in five ended in 3-2  win as visitors Gillingham, who let a two goal lead slip, missed the chance to go back to the top of SkyBet League One.

The Latic’s captain Craig Morgan scored in the 96th minute to secure the three points as the home team came back from a two-nil deficit on a cold Thursday evening in North-West..

It was end to end from both teams in this promotion battle for the full 90 minutes with both teams looking lively. Gillingham’s Dack showed his class providing the cross for Samuel to open the scoring on the 24th minute. And Daniels for the Latics looked a constant threat down the right hand side throughout creating chances for both Grigg and Jacobs in the box.

The Latics missed two outstanding chances after the restart from Gills goal with Daniels making a quality run to Jacobs who’s shot was deflected just wide. Kellet was picked out from a corner at the far post who misses Wigan’s best chance of an equaliser with a wasted free header.

The away team looked confortable going into the second half their second goal coming at 52 minutes as half time substitute picked out Rory Donnelly’s head at the far post.

The game quietened down until Hiwula’s chance ball into the box was met by Jacobs who’s shot is blocked but only cleared as far as Grigg who puts the ball home from close range at 63 minutes. Only four minutes separated the home sides first and second goals as Power’s shot bounced in on 67 minutes.

Both teams had shots in the final ten minutes but nothing came of them. Daniels with a shot from the penalty area put inches wide of the near post and subsequently Donnelly finding the hands of Jaaskelainen at the opposite end. As it was looking as though the game was ending with a point each Wigan took their final attempt on goal with Morgan’s header finding the back of the net and securing all three points. A win which could prove vital in Wigan’s promotion campaign.

Grigg was awarded man of the match after getting Wigan back in the tie and increasing his great scoring record in the league this season.

It was Caldwell’s substitutions ten minutes into the second half that changed the game as Wigan’s brace came just minutes after McCann and Hiwula came on and Gilligham found themselves unable to hold out for a point at the DW.

WIGAN (5-4-1): Jaaskelainen, James (Hiwula 55), Pearce, Morgan (G 96), Barnett, Daniels, Kellet (McCann 55), Power, Perkins (G 67), Jacobs (Davies 90), Grigg (G 64).

GILLINGHAM (4-3-1-2): Nelson, Garmston, Ehmer, Egan (C), Jackson, Morris (Loft 45), Wright (McGlashan 85), Hessenthaler (Osadebe 76), Dack, Samuel (G 24), Donnelly.

Man of the match: Will Grigg

Referee: Scott Duncan

Attendance: 7,923.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s